13. Votive offering by Fl. Bonifatius
- Part of a mosaic panel comprising the left-hand side of a tabella ansata (die,w: 0.41 x h: 0.41)
- Letters within the tabella.
- Lettering: 0.07-0.09.
- The floor is of the fourth century, but antedates the church in its present form.
- Sabratha: Church III: in the centre of the mosaic floor between the altar and the bema of the Church (Reg. III ins. 4).
- Original Location:
- Last recorded location:
- Romanelli, Atti del IV Congresso di Archeologia Cristiana, Rome, 1940, I:261. This edition taken from J. M. Reynolds and J. B. Ward-Perkins, The Inscriptions of Roman Tripolitania, Rome: British School at Rome, 1952.
- Text constituted from:
- Transcription (Reynolds, Ward-Perkins)
Fl(auius)Boni[fatius] exceptor [cu]m suis de[o] uotum s[oluit], l. 2 can more easily be read as EXCEPTO N[·· ? ··]
Flavius Bon[?ifatius] shorthand writer, [with] his family, paid his [vow]
The most recent excavation (1949) appears to establish that the mosaic is contemporary with an earlier form of the church, and is therefore Christian.